Friday, April 1, 2016

Fools Rush In - Day One of 2016 Poem-A-Day

Let Poem-A-Day begin!

Every year for the past -- I don't know, decade? -- I have participated in Robert Lee Brewer's Poem-A-Day in April. Some years, I make it all the way to the end. Other years, I fall fabulously short. The point, though, is to write poems, and that I do. 

Here is the link to Brewer's PAD Challenge site, where he posts his daily poetry prompts:
2016 Poem A Day Challenge Join me, if you please and if you dare, in writing one poem each day in April. 

Day One:

For today’s prompt, write a foolish poem. It’s April Fool’s Day, after all. Let’s loosen up today with a poem in which we’re fools, others are fools, or there’s some kind of prank or tomfoolery happening. Fool around with it a while.

Fools Rush In 

Foolish is a mockingbird
Who first dives from her nest

Foolish is the scientist
Who continues to try and test

Foolish is the playground child
Who finally raises her fist

Foolish is caterpillar
Who unwinds from her chrysalis

Foolish are those who push and push
Who refuse to give up their fight

Foolish are they, the believers
Who rally against the night

Foolish are those who continue
To live, to love, to dare.

And though they may be wounded,
they still have love to share.

Count me blissful among them:
This incautious band of fools

For if I let anguish guide me

I never would have you.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. It's difficult to look past old wounds, but new growth can't happen without trying.

    ReplyDelete