Monday, April 20, 2015

2015 Poem A Day, Day Nineteen

Prompt for Day Nineteen:
For today’s prompt, write an authority poem. Maybe you are an authority on something or know someone who is (or who thinks he or she is). Maybe you respect authority, or maybe not so much. Maybe you are on the run from the authorities, in which case I can only say good luck, but this blog probably isn’t the best hiding place–especially with so many folks poeming away.

I am a few days behind on the challenge now. This one is super-rough, and I'm not sure it's an authority poem. 

Open Carry

I have a policy
for the kids
in my care:
I take you
with me
in my heart,
in my mind
every day,
every where.

Driving home
from school,
you are in the
backseat,
you control
the music
and the air
and the volume,
and the depth.

At night
when I cook,
I worry:
Do you have
what's good
for you?
Do you have
enough?

When I try
to sleep,
there you are,
chatting,
talking,
laughing,
crying.
And I worry.
Into the odd
hours,
I worry.

This is my
open carry.
This is my
weapon
against
crime
and poverty
and cruelty
and hate.

This is
what I have
to give:
openness,
acceptance,
and the
promise:

I carry you
in my heart,
and I
remember

who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment