Monday, April 27, 2015

2015 Poem A Day, Day Twenty:

For today’s prompt, take the phrase “My (blank), the (blank),” replace the blanks with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write your poem. Possible titles include: “My Dentist, the Torture Expert,” “My Lunch, the Thing I Got Out of the Vending Machine,” “My Father, the Comedian,” or “My Life, the Punchline.”

I am playing catch-up, so this one of the two poems I wrote on Day Twenty One. It wasn't finished on the day, so I'm posting it for Day Twenty, because I couldn't feel that prompt.

This was inspired by a conversation with a friend with whom I'd stayed up way too late.

I Am Not

I am not your princess
I am not your muse
I was not put upon the earth
to aid and comfort you

I am a human being
I have got my plans
They have nothing to do
with your boring, idle hands

I don't care if you are listening
I'm not worried if you care
I'm a woman, goddammit,
Walk beside me if you dare.


No comments:

Post a Comment