Tuesday, April 7, 2015

2015 Poem A Day, Day Seven

Prompt for Day Seven:

It took an entire week to get to our first “Two for Tuesday” prompt this year, so I’m going to make it the one that I run every single year:

1. Write a love poem. Yeah, I said a love poem, or, if you don’t like that option…
2. Write an anti-love poem. I know there are some haters out there; go ahead and hate on love and/or love poems if that’s your thing.

Feeling ambivalence toward today's prompt. Having just ended a devastating relationship, I am torn about my feelings toward love. My boyfriend of two years bailed on us in Seoul, but then dragged out our relationship long-distance style for two months before I finally ended it on the night of my Grandmother's funeral, when he blew off being there for me to go to karaoke with his brother.

And yet, I loved him. I was wholly devoted to him, and to our relationship. It took a long time for me to understand that he just didn't feel the same way.

All of that said, I still believe in love. I'm an All You Need Is Love kind of person, and I probably will always be. So I don't want to write an anti-love poem, nor do I want to write a love poem. I'm well aware that there are myriad forms of love, and that on the non-romantic love front I am replete with glee.

So here is my love poem, short and sweet:

Love

All you need is love
and peace, and understanding
and chocolate, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment